Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Jungle Trek

Note: Last Saturday night I had time to make a reply to Brian's comments and off we went to Banda Acheh again the next morning. We had gone to the interior of the highlands south of Banda Acheh. I was in a party comprising the head of the group Pak Teuku, geologist, Mr Rama and a number of helpers. I just came back this afternoon all the richer in some jungle bashing experience.
Apologies: Will be responding to all comments in the previous posting. Brian, I will respond with an email also. In the meantime a simple haiku to accompany the pics.

On the road again
Greetings from BANDA ACHEH
Some fishes to fry


Image:1 A scenic and placid lake greeted us before we ventured in. The nearer hills in the distance were where we were headed

Image:2 The geologist, working out the coordinates and programming his GPS before we set out.

Image:3 Some of the rough dirt tracks we had to move through

Image:4 Here was a narrow passage-way cut through the hills

Image:5 At some points Juna had to go down to guide Kiki at dangerous points

Image:6 Suddenly a river crossed our path. A 4WD could ford it during normal days but it apparently rained in the upper reaches earlier. The river was a bit swollen and the currents were fast.

Image:7 Scenic yes, but we would rather not

Image:8 We managed to get across. Satia waded in first following one of the locals who showed the way. We then went across in groups. Here Mr Rama with some sampling at the initial stage with Satia helping out with a hammer to break the stones

Image:9 Hank being helped by Gito handling a 'pot of gold'

Image:10 Satia breaking more stones watched intently by Mr Rama and Pak Teuku

Image:11 Walking back on completion of the tasks

Image: 12 The grassy vegetation nearer to the lowlands

Image:13 The testing river crossing again. This time Mr Rama stripped off his pants to ensure a dry journey back
Image:14 Mr Rama being gingerly assisted across the fast currents

Image:15 Pak Teuku seems overly confident in facing the ordeal

Image:16 The group made it across

Image:17 A well deserved rest and refreshments all round

Submitted to d'Verse OpenLinkNights

28 comments:

  1. Looks like a grand time indeed
    Sure plenty of tales will be told of it at your feed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just for openers
      Lots of work to be done
      Told to look out for offers
      This is going to be fun

      Hank

      Delete
  2. Uncle Hank,
    My Mama once had an odd journey from Meulaboh to Banda Acheh via the mountains....it was very interesting as the areas were previously off limits to foreigners. That river looks kind of familiar. Any TNI checkpoints along the way? Are you looking for coal or petroleum? purrr....meow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't venture too far south, may be later. Contrary to what some concerned friends told me, things were peaceful. No TNI road blocks of any kind. It was an outing to verify some contentions. Nothing certain yet!

      Hank

      Delete
  3. Hank, what a wonderful adventure! I would have enjoyed seeing that scenery with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun Mary,yes! But we came to do some work.It was still fun, though!

      Hank

      Delete
  4. Looks like everyone's having a blast, Hank! Glad you can enjoy this time. Thanks for sharing it in words and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how beautiful....can you hear me singing with pink floyd...how i wi-i-ish, how i wish i was there...smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sing Claudia sing Ma'am! We want to hear it!

      Hank

      Delete
  6. wow you had quite the adventure...and a good fish fry right out of the river is never a bad thing...glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so hard to believe that life can be as truly and astoundingly colorful as what your photos depict! I have been trrapped in this smog ridden, grey-skied country for too long.... How beautiful and vibrant those photos are!

    johnallenrichter.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful place. Thanks for taking us in your journey Pareng Hank!

    Pareng JJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your adventure and pics Hank~

    Looks you had a lot of fun ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geology was always a favorite of mine when I was a child. If only I'd stuck with it I could be hanging at beautiful places like this. I once thought I'd hate the jungle. But on recent trips to Mexico Yucatan, I discovered that I actually seem to come alive in the humidity and heat... but I still HATE skeeters! Great pics dude. TY for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, looks like some journey! Thanks for sharing your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hank, thank you for a wonderful tour! Geology is fascinating, but my body will not go the places that yours seems to be able to! Vivid descriptions, like "Wild Kingdom" without Jim rassling the croc. Loved it!
    Amy http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/processing-me/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Hank.
    Looks like you had an fantastic adventure!
    Very brave to cross those waters...I'd be petrified because I don't swim.
    Awesome photos!
    Thanks for taking us along on your journey.

    When you get a chance, please spare a few moments to come to my blog...I have a gift for you.
    Award Time...Sharing The Love Again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. My life is boring. :o~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a fabulous adventure. I think I too would have been very wary of crossing a fast moving river. Great job your guides did of handling it all with you. Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!! It looks like a marvelous adventure...love the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Akhi,
    It is beautiful. My problem is that being too adventurous for me. Hope you will show more pictures and story about this on your return.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A truly fabulous post. Right out the top drawer! Thanks for it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful. This is Indonesia? Amazing. Thanks for sharing. I love your portrait of Brian as well in post below. K.

    AGH -- I am having a hard time posting, because of an old unused blog. This is Manicddaily from http://Manicddaily.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you have a fun job, Hank. I once wanted to be a geologist but flunked my second course, 'rocks and minerals, i.e. mineralogy.
    Your part of Sumatra looks a lot like the parts of Guatemala where I visited.
    Thank you for looking in at my old typewriter. I am sorry that I am so late in returning your comment.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!! you clicked nice picks, and seems to be you have enjoyed a lot. Share some tales that happened during the trekking.

    ReplyDelete