Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Limericks 4


A Limerick fascinates me. I like it for 2 reasons. Firstly we have to maintain the form. Only then it is effective. The 1st, 2nd and 5thlines should rhyme together and these are longer sentences. The 3rd and 4thshould rhyme together and these are shorter. That’s the basics that I understand without regard to meters which gets me stumped.
 Secondly, the 5th line provides a ‘punch-line’ sort of. When we are done with reading the 5th line we get ‘tickled’ and we laugh together.  
 I always go to Mad Kane’s Limerick blog (here) to get the inspiration. Madeleine Begun Kane is the guru in this community. I would try to contribute a limerick with her as often as I can. 

The limericks below were my contributions to Mad Kane’s. Mad Kane provided the first line 'A girl was telling a tale' and A gal was attempting to write. We are to continue. Hope can get some smiles!

A girl was telling a tale
Of how she ensnared a silly male
Do they  expect
A story of sex?
No, just that of a provider during a sale


A gal was attempting to write
Something she thought that would fright
Was a tame affair
Just lots of hot air
But friends tolerated her, claimed her as ‘bright’



19 comments:

  1. haha....perhaps someone to pay the bill...smiles...cute...but i think you might get some interesting comments off this one...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like limmericks though not very good at writing them. This one is very good Hank.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha - good on you hank...i'm such a loser with limericks...i just can't write them...and oh i have tried..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a smile with you, here, Hank. Limericks are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed at you first then with you does that count?..haha...limericks are always fun and of course there is rhyme so the cat likes them a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is nice one... Love it Pareng Hank!

    JJRod'z

    Btw, i dont know anything about the forms of poetry. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha..ha.. this made my day...good one ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice. I can't do it myself, Hank. Kind of get lost . :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Limericks are great fun. This girl doesn't sound like a particularly nice person, but I know there are quite a few women like that.

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fellow was telling a tale,
    of a fish he caught by the tail.
    I knew it was a whopper,
    'cuz in came a copper,
    and hauled his a__ off to jail!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very funny, Hank. Good one you writing a limerick. I couldn't write one to save my life.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun limerick! And thanks for your regular participation in my weekly Limerick-Offs!

    Madeleine Begun Kane

    ReplyDelete
  13. surprise endings on short pieces are so fun when done this well:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Smiles... I always enjoy your limericks !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ahahhaahha..... i love limericks. urs is cool.

    ReplyDelete